Saturday, July 19, 2008

Eczema

Eczema (from Greek έκζεμα) is a form of dermatitis or inflammation of the upper layers of the skin. The term eczema is broadly applied to a range of persistent skin conditions. These include dryness and recurring skin rashes which are characterised by one or more of these symptoms: redness, skin edema (swelling), itching and dryness, crusting, etc.

I have developed atopic eczema near my neckline since 2000. I thought it was ring worm when it first appeared! I was relieved when our uni GP Dr Yuen confirmed that it was eczema, instead of ring worm. Either the corticosteroid steroid creams (DermAid, Egocort, Elomet and Elocon) are too mild or the normal protective barrier of the skin is disrupted (ie. dry and cracked) from regular scratching and it allows easy entry for bacteria, my eczema doesn't seem to follow the cycle that Dr Yuen once suggested. Scratching both introduces infection and spreads it from one area to another. I have tried Oilatum, Medi Oil, bath oils and Eucerin cream, but also to no avail. May be I should just cut my hair shorter, perhaps. HaHa, enjoy the cartoon!

No comments: