Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Well Groomed?

Last Tuesday, I was at a salon during lunchtime to get a scalp massage and relax.

I was chatting with the shampoo girl when two of us were shocked to hear a girl crying! When both of us turned our heads, we saw a girl sobbing and pulling at her own hair in the other seat. We heard she cried: I don't want this hair. It's awful. It's awful. I am so ugly.

The hairstylist was blowing the girl's hair when she was pulling her hair at the same time. At that moment, I was wondering what's the point to blow her hair nice when all she wanted at that time was to get up and leave the salon ASAP.

The mother walked closed to the daughter and said to her: You look fine. You look OK. (In fact, her mother was telling the truth).

Girl shouted at her mother: NO, I look awful. My hair looks like maggi-mee (read: instant noodles). It's not supposed to look like THIS. It should look like soft curls that this Japanese girl is having. Not THIS, I want is THAT. I don't want THIS. I want THAT hairstyle. I look awful. AWFUL.AWFUL.AWFUL.

The mother patiently stood next to her daughter and the hairstylist: You look ok, trust me.

The girl continued to cry and continued to pull at her hair. Twenty minutes later, both mother and daughter left the salon, with the teenage daughter still sobbing as if the hairstylist had just murdered her favourite pet!

The hairstylist turned to me and said: Mrs X has only one daughter, she really pampers her. Despite her busy schedule, she attends to all her daughter's needs.

I sat in my chair and let those words sank in my head, and I began to work on the following correlations:
Schools teach us words and numbers.
Parents teach us values.
If Mrs X treated pampering as part of her loving, then where do good values and inner beauties (such as patience, sharing, understanding, respect elders) stand in her view?
Exterior beauties are good to admire from a distance, but they will change with time and age.
If that teenage girl believed her permed hair has made her ugly, her lack of respect to her mother and the hairstylist have made her uglier.


She should learn more from Nancy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That girl is spoiled. *sigh*.

We should all be content with what we have.

Pancake Queen said...

As an outsider and I observe both mother & daughter from a distance, I disagree with the mother's attitude. Her patience towards her daughter has been seen by her daughter as approval to her behaviour.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree that the mother dots her daughter too much. I'm not a mother, so I don't know if I'm saying this without sensitivity.

The girl is a teenage girl. Her mother should grow her maturity. Wrongly permed hair could be straightened, it's not the end of the world.

It was definitely not right to make a scene at the salon.

The girl was like me. I had such experience but I knew Mama wouldn't be pleased if I made a scene at the salon. I would still cry and made a big fuss but at home :)

Pancake Queen said...

Agreed! Mama wouldn't allow us to create scene at the salon. I recalled when I was 14 and got my fringe permed like it could put hangers on it! I cried for two consecutive mornings before school. Mama said to me: You wanted your fringe permed last week and you must be brave enough to face the consequences. Not everytime outcome will turn out to be what we expected. If you couldn't solve this hair problem yourself, how could you solve bigger problems by yourself when you grow up. So now, act like a real woman, comb your hair and go to school before you are late.

Thanks for we have such a bright mother, or else we would still be frogs under the well. HeHe.