Thursday, January 18, 2007

Wedding Speech

I was checking the list of "Things Must Do 3 Weeks Before Wedding" yesterday and it occured to me that I might need to prepare a "Elder Sister of the Groom" speech.

I read a poem for my sister during her wedding 4 years ago. In fact, it meant to be a song that I wanted to sing. I always like to visualise myself on the stage singing aloud companied by my talented piano skills. Fact is I can sing but I play piano + organ +keyboard like a toddler! Anyway, we were all very stressed with time 4 years ago (everyone was not in Brunei, and not easy to organise things in under 2 weeks), so finally I read out the poem in bilingual way. To me, I sounded crap but I must emphasise those words were really meant from the bottom of my heart. Well, the saving grace part was - my father's friend called early the next morning praising on my wise choice of words.

In order not to show up on stage worrying I sound crap again, I have decided to prepare a speech 3 weeks in advance this time.

The first version of my speech begins this way: "Ladies and Gentleman, Thanks for joining my family .....". Nah, too formal to my taste.

The second version begins like this: "The first time I saw Susie, I knew right that very time that she'll be the One for my brother ...". Nah, sounds too cheesy.

Then ........ The fifth version reads: "Germaine Greer said a successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person ......". Sounds like I am delivering a lecture.

Finally, words read better in the seventh version. Hopefully, I get a 10 minute slot to say it out loud during my brother's wedding. Want to find out what I wrote. Check out my blog on 14th February!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I can't remember much of your speech. I know it must be fantastic and touching one. I remember everyone was so attentive when you delivered the short speech.

Pancake Queen said...

Yeah! In fact, Mama told us that after your wedding, many Bruneian families have copied our idea to start scheduling Sister of the Bride speech, Brother of the Groom speech, Best Man speech etc. for the wedding receptions!

We are the Champions!

Unknown said...

My laptop crashed on me!! =(

But I managed to fix the internet connection for my parent's computer. I feel so "kiang".


=)

Pancake Queen said...

Hey Kim Ying: Why all of the sudden Missing In Action? I thought you told me you would stay and help out with the wedding preparation?