Sunday, October 08, 2006

Triumph In The Skies



Probably this was the TV drama I had a few good glimpse the first week after I've completed my thesis, so I feel very happy, relaxed and confident every time I hear this song playing.

I like the character of Zoe in the drama. She is a strong, young woman. She was courageous to declare her love to the lead actor. She never regreted her decision and she was determined in the direction of her relationship. I admire her courage and decisiveness. Carrie Bradshaw in SATC doesn't even have half her courage. Remember the estranged love between Carrie and Aidan? Carrie's dilemma stemmed from her fear of commitment and true love that allowed her to let the best thing in her life, Aidan, go. She argued that it was a case in which the love is too much to take (a strange but a common excuse from silly people these days).

Aidan did everything right. He is everything all women dream of. Carrie, to her own detriment, was so wrapped up in her vain bachelorette lifestyle that she couldn't stand to sacrifice it for a man who would have done anything for her. He truly exemplified unconditional love. In the decision she was remiss; because of it, he deserved better and she simply didn't deserve him. Although Carrie's forced politeness prevented her from the proper ecstatic reaction in recognition of Aidan's good fortune, it was that very happiness from love that diminished and destroyed her happiness, in the end. Aidan wanted that level of happiness with Carrie, but she let him go. Aidan finally got what he deserved, he got married with a beautiful woman and they have a beautiful son. In that street facing Aidan and his new family, Carrie realised how much good things she had let go of. She was heart broken and alone.

Love is a funny thing. It plays with our minds; it makes us miserable; makes us do silly things; it makes us inebriated with happiness; it is the reason we feel at all. Although Carrie was stupid to reject Aidan, they have had many special memories that both might not have with their new respective partner. The old aphorism remains true. It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved before - above discussion on Carrie and Aidan was cited from Melissa Fusi, Both Sides Now, The Prometheus Institute.

Although the above discussion on Carrie and Aidan was cited from The Prometheus Institute, I must declare that I do not necessarily agree with all concepts and arguments discussed by the institute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wrote the plot so well that I really want to watch when I go home. It sounds like a really good show.

I see or perhaps 'hear' you in Carrie's character.

Pancake Queen said...

HaHa ... I am the Carrie Bradshaw who let Aidan go but have no Mr Big waiting for me at the other end.

Yes, I didn't really watch the drama "Triumph In The Skies" but the few episodes that I managed a few good glances were good. The quality is much better than some TVB dramas that we've watched before!