Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mona Lisa Smile


Yesterday when I was colouring my hair in a salon, I was shocked to hear of a comment from an Iranian woman (in her early 20s) to her hairstylist. She told the hairstylist that she found Bruneian women ugly. She commented that we are shorter, have flatter features and have bad dressing sense compared to Iranian women especially the part of the town where she came from. I can't deny the fact that at 5'7", she is really a beauty with deep set eyes, cherry tone pout and porcelain skin. The DKNY black dress on her really has given Aishwarya Rai a good run for her money. However, her beauty doesn't give her the liberty to criticise me and my fellow Bruneian women. So, I turned to face her and her hairstylist: We Bruneians have a beautiful mind and a beautiful heart - we think before we speak.

She didn't respond.

At first, I thought she is such clever to play dimwit by avoiding conflicts. I found out later from my hairstylist's text message: After u left, dat dumb woman said to me Brunei is beautiful only 1 wk in a yr ie. only when she's around ...

No worries. One day she will grow up and learn to respect others and by that time she will really be a true beauty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pancakeism,

I'm a friend of Woofhams, my name is michelle. =) i like to read your blog. Saw this post from the link in Woofhams today. Hmmm. that iranian lady is really so shallow. I couldn't believe her statement. U & Woofhams are both very beautiful (and intelligent too).

i think & u would agree, beauty will fade as we grow old. the inner self, the soul, could however grow wiser and better and it can get better if one works on it. for some people (uranian lady for instance) her inner growth has unfortunately thwarted & die prematurely. Hopefully she finds a cure hee hee.

Pancake Queen said...

Hi Mich! Yes I've heard from Woofhams that you are reading my blog regularly. Thanks for your support and I love your compliments re "Beautiful" & "Intelligent"! My sis is the one who encouraged me to start this blog so we could "chat" like in the childhood days. Honestly speaking, it did occur to me a few times in the past 3 years that we were drifitng apart due to the physical distance. Thanks God that blogging has managed to bring us back to the sweet old days.

True, I couldn't believe my ears when that Iranian woman said this line: "I couldn't stand Brunei, the women are ugly. I wouldn't come here if not for my husband has a crystal business with a local businessman". I believe she has left behind her "heart" & "wit" in her homeland haha ...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I guess what I wanted to say about the Iranian lady is all in my blog :)

Great! 3 beautiful minds think alike *wink*

Yes, I thank God for bringing che and me back through blogging :)

Pancake Queen said...

Woofhams! Great metaphor -> 5'7" blue eyes dumb blonde in "The Truth about Cats & Dogs". Indeed true haha.