Thursday, October 18, 2007

Give And Take

I don't know who was the painter for the painting above. I like the skyscrapers, but I found the biggest flaw of the painting is why did the woman pulled the curtain. It's the man's responsibilities to handle the heavier task.

I dislike it when I heard lines such as:

"Well, if you women want gender equality, then prove to us you can move this by yourself"
- To me they are just a bunch of manipulative men when they said this line to my friends.

"Hey we can move this ourselves, we are the superwomen of the new generation"
- To me an important skill that every superwoman of the new generation should equip is how to delegate work to their men counterparts and ensure the men accepted those work willingly without expecting anything in return.

I would be ashamed of myself if I were the man in the painting, expecting a weaker woman to pull the curtain for him while he just stood there like a block admiring the skyscrapers view.

I belonged to the generation where the school system taught us to give but never take. I began to realise it is incorrect (at least in my principle) when at work, my subordinates took my kindness for granted. In relationship, I have forgotten to "take". Eventually I realised my love has been taken for granted, but it was already too late to salvage the situation.

Now, I have learnt. I have to be kind. I have to be kind to those who love me. I have to be kind to myself too.

No comments: