Friday, May 25, 2007

Fast Food

Estimates suggest that there are 5.6 million vending machines in Japan which works out to be one for every 20 people. Sales from vending machines in the year 2000 totalled US$56 billion! The most common are drinks and cigarette machines. I was excited when my sister Woofhams told me she has seen vending machines in Japan that sell hot meals. Friends also told me vending machines in Japan come in all shapes and sell things that range from eggs and umbrellas to flowers and flight insurance. Hot ramen vending machine comes first in my wish list. Before my Japan trip last year, I even had the fantasy that my hot ramen will appear in a green bowl. I also spent time to think about how will I hold the hot bowl so I won't scald my fingers, where do I get the disposable chopsticks and how should I handle the used bowl?

I was very excited with the thought of hot ramen machines that as soon as I checked in at the hotel, I asked the liaison officer who assisted my trip to show me the direction to ramen machines. To my disappointment, all vending machines in that hotel do not come with the green bowl fantasy. Eventually I tried the mineral water and instant noodles (seafood flavour) vending machines. Not too bad, in fact. Although we have similar brand in Brunei (imports from Malaysia), the Japan's taste is stronger. Their diced carrots are crunchy despite soaked in water for more than five minutes.

No comments: