Wednesday, May 23, 2007

There Is 'No Us'

Since the day I was introduced to the Golden Globe and Peabody Award winning American TV drama series Ugly Betty, I have only managed to catch two episodes. The first time I watched it, I was upset seeing Betty, such a family oriented girl and so kind-hearted, was being ridiculed in her workplace because of her weird hairstyle, braces and glasses. And yet people says Beauty is in the eyes of Beholder, then where and who is the Beholder? It's so unfair to Betty.
I stumbled upon Ugly Betty again last night when I was trying to prevent my cousin from dwelling on the MTV. May be I am older now. Dido's songs are soothing, but Dido combines with Eminen are too complex for my ears. Okay, so back to UB. Yesterday's story was a bit of here and there, but main story focused on (1) Daniels' transgender brother Alex Meade, (2) Lucy Liu appeared as Grace Chin and (3) Betty's sort-of-soulmate Henry's on-again/off-again girlfriend Charlie showed up in NY prompting Betty to hold off on her pursuit of the geeky-sweet accountant Henry.

Somehow between the lines of Betty and Henry in one of the scenes, I detected something familiar:
Henry: How about the feelings between us?
Betty: There is No Us.

The "feelings" between Betty and Henry is more complicated than what I could write here. You knew you have feelings for him and the feelings are 100% reciprocal, but you haven't found the appropriate opportunities to reveal your feelings - that's the boring and yet complicated issue I was referring. Anyway, yesterday epidode ended with Betty giving Henry the VIP ticket to Stella MaCrtney show with Charlie.

I was/am still confused with the episode ending. So:

  • Does Henry like Betty? Ans: If he likes her, he will refuse the tickets, and suggest Betty to go to Stella show with Charlie instead ie. a Girls' Out Night.

  • Is Betty making the right decision? Ans: Friends always tell me I am letting all the good guys slip away. Well, to start with, if he is a good guy, he will stay instead of me asking him to stay.

  • Should Betty break them up? Ans: Magazines and movies always tell us to fight for the guy we want. Well, I diasagree with them. If the guy likes you, he will not shy away, he will not be inconfident of your feelings, he will be head over heels with you on his mind that he wants to see you 24/7.

  • Is Henry a loser in yesterday's episode? Ans: Indecisive+Inconfident = weak.

No comments: