Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Double Happiness

My entire family is currently very busy with the wedding preparation for my youngest brother, Dato K. I am glad that in less than 4 weeks, we have finalised on guest list, venue, costumes, photography, wedding favour, bouquet, ballroom decor, dowry & traditional gifts for the bride's family ..... I believe those who have had prepared for wedding previously would understand the list could go on forever. Well, I must clarify at this point, albeit busy, it is fun to be part of the wedding preparation crew. Now, day in day out I am well known with this question as if I have it printed on my forehead: So, how much discount could you give my brother?

It's another 1 month before my brother's wedding. In the past 4 weeks, I have learnt the skills of sure-win bargaining, better photography, flower decor, how to accessorise, good make-up tricks, and Chinese & Peranakan wedding customs. For the first time in my life, my mother entrusted me with the duty as ASSISTANT to my brother's "Mei Poh" (direct translation from HanYiPinYin: "MatchMaker"). I must emphasise, this is an extremely important and heavy task. Why? In my teenage years, I had to beg my mother for 5 consecutives years before she allowed me to pour beaten eggs into her sharkfin soup for our CNY's eve dinner. So, now you can understand how heavy are my shoulders - but I do very much enjoying the pressure, though. Well, to begin with, I know more of these customs than most "Mei Pohs" because I was well trained by both my grandmothers since the age of 13. I won first prize in my Secondary 5 English essay competition with my essay written on Ethnic Chinese Wedding Customs where my mentor of the essay was my paternal grandmother.

I know it is still far too, too, too early to discuss on baby names because I don't think younger couples like my brother and his wife would like to start family this soon.

Anyway, I told my brother few months ago that both me and Woofhams would be Godmothers to his children. My brother believes in "Stop at Two" policies. So, I told him, if they were two boys, they would be "Keegan and Kieren". If they were a boy and a girl, then they would be "Keegan and Ariella". If there were two girls, they would be "Ariella and Ailsa".

If I have left out important details (read: wedding preparation), don't forget to drop me a line or two to remind me in the comment box.

Happy New Year 2007 and a fruitful year ahead. Cheers!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hey Che. Happy New Year. I have made another blog. and I linked you and Nee che to my blog. My blog name is http://inmylatte.blogspot.com.

I'm looking forward to Bro K's wedding.


see you soon.
p.s. still waiting for results.

Pancake Queen said...

To Kim Ying: Glad to hear from you. How have you been? Heard from your sis that you are working PT at her workplace now. Update us from time to time.

Btw, do drop by our house earlier on the wedding day. I need to assign a task for you. Cheers.

Unknown said...

No problem. Is the wedding on the 18th or 20th? Don't worry I'll be there to help out.

I was working with my sis at her office in Muara. But now I'm working at home. My sis brings stuff from her office for me to do when she's free. Stuff like checking invoices and filing things.

Oh yea. send my regards to Ah Koh. I don't wish to disturb her now coz she must be busy with the weddinbg preparations. :)

See you all soon.

Anonymous said...

Haha. Didn't know about your sharkfin thingy.

I think we're doing fine. Bernard and I just finished the pasting the 'joy' on the candles last night. They look very nice :)

With all the candles on the tables, it will turn out very nice as part of the ballroom's decor.

Pancake Queen said...

Kim Ying: The wedding is not on the 18th or 20th. Wow, you sound like "cavewoman" lately though.

Woofhams: I am so mad with many things today! I'll send a text to your phone later.